Why private keys need – and now have! – failure-proof security
Cryptocurrency exchanges and wallets are constantly attacked by hackers. If a private key is stored online or also known to individuals other than the user, security risks arise. The private key stored on the new Chainlock card of the Austrian State Printing House (OeSD) has no such weak spots. It was developed in cooperation with Coinfinity based on its secure entropy technology and ranks among the most secure private keys in the world:
- The key pair is generated in a high-quality procedure, for which a patent application has been filed: not a single person can ever see this private key.
- Key verification is carried out by a machine without human input.
- The private key is stored offline and at no point available online.
- It is known to the user only.
- High-security materials used in the production of the Chainlock card minimize the security risk.
PRODUCT PRESENTATION CHAINLOCK NOVEMBER 26, 2018 – Palais Wertheim
Whom the Chainlock card is ideal for
The Chainlock card is the ideal solution for sellers and traders of cryptocurrencies. It is also perfectly matched to their customers’ needs, who want to know their investments are stored in a highly secure place both in the medium and long run.
Before using the Chainlock card
Check the security features via the app.
Charging the Chainlock card
- Scan the address as a QR code on the card (or, alternatively, enter it manually) using your preferred digital wallet.
- Charge any amount of a cryptocurrency to the Chainlock card – you can also recharge the card several times.
ImportantYou can check the amount of the cryptocurrency using a block explorer or the Chainlock app.
Discharging the Chainlock card
- Expose the private key beneath the security seal / protective sticker.
- Scan the private key as a QR code (or, alternatively, enter it manually) using your preferred digital wallet.
- Load the cryptocurrency from the Chainlock card into your digital wallet.
ImportantThe security seal can be removed in advance to check the existing private key. It can then be covered again with the provided protective sticker.
The private key should only be read by the Chainlock card’s user and in a safe surrounding. The private key provides access to all cryptocurrency amounts linked to the card.
A broken security seal (“seal broken”) is a sign that a manipulation has occurred.
Security at a glance
Key generation in the high-security zone of the Austrian State Printing House (OeSD): the generation procedure, for which a patent application has been filed, ensures that nobody can view the key pair – not even OeSD staff.
Effective counterfeiting protection
the security seal ensures that the private key cannot be secretly read; the signature procedure, for which a patent application has been filed, protects against an exchange of the address.
Secure and convenient hardware
the card is robust, handy, credit-card-sized as well as water- and heat-resistant.
at any secure place (private safe or safe deposit box in a bank).
an IT background is not necessary
100 % offline
unauthorised access to the private key via internet, WLAN, NFC, CryptoLocker, private-key scammers, etc. can be ruled out entirely.
100 % independence
coins created through forks benefit the private key’s owner.
100 % user autonomy
the user is the sole person who can access the private key.
Physical security check
Digital security check
The app will guide you through the process. ChainLockCode (CLC) is an additional security feature and a component of the unique procedure for which a patent application has been filed. It further protects the information on the card cryptographically and enables a check of this information with the Chainlock app.
Many further security features serve as reliable forgery protection for the Chainlock card. They include, among other features:
- microprinting on the front and back side
- continuous colour gradient (Iris print)
- patterns visible in UV and infrared light
Where can I get a Chainlock card?
Interested in becoming a business partner?
Contact: Uwe Trummer
We look forward to hearing from you!
Innovative Products for secure digital identities
The The Austrian State Printing House (OeSD) Group is an Austrian high-security company with a focus on secure identities.
As a full-service provider of ID and e-government solutions, OeSD develops, implements and offers personalisation solutions for identity documents such as the highly secure Austrian passport.
In 2018, the portfolio was extended through the innovative spin-off YOUNIQX Identity AG, which offers solutions in the field of secure digital identities. With MICK (My Identity Check), the highly secure video identification service, MIA (My Identity App), the world’s first system offering integrated identity management, and Chainlock, the secure private key, the company is optimally prepared for the digital future.